Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Midnight Sun Run

The Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year, was June 21st. In Fairbanks, that means the sun sets at 1 am and rises again at 3 am. Between the dusk and dawn light however, it never gets dark. We have basically had 24 hours of daylight since May and it will continue until September. In celebration of all the sunlight, Alaska throws several festivals and events across the state. Fairbanks has a festival, a Midnight baseball game, and the Midnight Sun 10K Run! The Run attracts thousands of participants every year. This year there were 3,600 and I was one of them! I ran it last year too and next year (provided the weather is good - this year it rained and rained) we plan on making it a family affair. The best part about the Run is the costume competition. You are required to wear your costume throughout the race to be the costume winner. Most people just wear crazy things for the fun of it however. Here are some pictures of my favorite get-ups.

The Recycle Fairy

Transformer Optimus Prime

Runaway Bride (a male)

Party Patrol made up of some lawyer friends of ours from Eielson.

Denae and Lia dressed as 70s runners.

Stormtroopers


Start of the Race

Private Ship during the race.

and the winner is . . . Transformer Optimus Prime! (officially)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love to see what you're up to!!!!! Can't wait to see the family in ONE WEEK....Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

looks like a fun run!

Anonymous said...

I liked the pirate ship! Didn't see you in the pics. How'd you do on the run? Love, Mom

Cheri said...

I liked the pirate ship a lot too but the ship didn't hold up all the way to the end. Optimus Prime had to practically walk the whole way to get his to make it. The rain was tough on the cardboard though.

I forgot to get a picture of myself. I will have to next year. I felt like I did pretty good considering I didn't prepare very well. I enjoyed the run but my knees were really mad at me the next day.

Heather said...

Fun run Cheri! The costumes are always the most fun things on those big kind of runs!

Also Just wanted to say that I love the big picture you have of Grace and Kyle as your main pic for your blog-- it is too cute.