Friday, June 11, 2010

Lubbock Visit

For the 2nd half of May and into June, I decided to take the kids to Lubbock for a visit.  Chris had to stay behind to work but the rest of us didn't have anything going on, so I thought, why not?  It was a long time to be away from Chris.  He especially missed us since he was coming home to an empty house.  He golfed a lot and went on a few adventures himself however, which I will post next.  The kids and I had non-stop fun though.  I especially enjoyed getting to be a part of some of my littlest sister Jenny's big senior events, such as her final choir concert, choir banquet, graduation, and senior dance recital.
Here are some highlights:
We went to Legacy Play Village soon after getting in town.  I guess we have really turned into Alaskans because the heat was a huge adjustment for us.  The kids couldn't stand being out there very long and they drank like a gallon of water as soon as we got back to my mom's.  We went from 50-60s to 80-90s.  The kids' faces were flushed within 15 mins of getting outside!  Luckily, we did adjust some, we reserved hot outside activities for the mornings, and I made sure to have drinks on hand.

My sister Stephanie came down for part of the time.  Let me warn you.  When there are more than 2 of us sisters together, a phenomenom known simply as "Sister Silliness" occurs.  It is a lot of fun to be a part of but rather scary for the husbands to witness.  Fortunately, this time, none of them were present.  Here is Stephy & Jenny having a laugh while we were at the park.


We cooled off the next day in my parents' pool!  We frequented this activity often!
Grace is our Florida born baby who truly loves the water!
Kyle, Jenny, and Grace
Kyle LOVES his poolside snacks!
Stephanie, as well as my older sister, Laura, came in for Jenny's final choir concert.  We took a picture with Mr. Farr, the best choir director in the country.  (I'm serious)  He was choir director for all 5 of us  and Chris too!  Heather wasn't able to be there because of her new baby but she was there in spirit!


Later in the week, when there was the Choir Banquet, my mom was still gone to help Heather so I went in her place as a parent chaperone with my dad.  It was fun because we got to see Jenny get the Most Outstanding Senior Girl Award and my parents even got a Most Dedicated Parents Award for 16 years of faithful service and commitment to the Coronado Choirs.  These pictures are terrible but here's the proof!

The plaque nicely engraved the names of each of us daughters and the years we were in choir there.
While we were in town, we also got to celebrate Chris's dad's birthday.  The party was at his dental office.  The kids had a great time "riding" down the hallway and playing shooting games!
Big Chief pushing the kiddos down the hall!
There was a minor hostage incident.

We did plenty of other fun things too! Like . . . .

RUN THROUGH THE SPRINKLERS!


Eat Super Delicious Burgers at Blue Sky!

And hung out at different parks!



Kyle enjoyed discovering Gramma's candy bowl one morning. (It sits by the front door and is mostly meant for visitors.)  Surprisingly, Kyle's pajamas precisely fit the moment.

We watched Jenny officially Graduate!
Grandmother Betty, Granddad Bob, Jenny, my mom Christine, and my dad Bob
Proud Parents - They finally graduated the last one!
Sisters!
That was on behalf of all the sisters!
We were awed by Jenny's dancing at her senior dance recital!  She was in several numbers including a special senior dance.  She really is a gorgeous talented dancer!
This was Jenny's Fire dance costume.
Finally, we spent a day using my parents' boat.





By the end, we were quite worn out!  What a wonderful trip it was though!

3 comments:

mamatamera said...

Isn't it great to be near family again! It looks like you had lots of fun. Tell Grace Sister Doran is thinking about her and says "Hi."

Kari said...

I LOVE this post! I looks like you went from one fun thing to the next! No wonder the kids were so exhausted by the end of it all!

Heather said...

I hadn't seen these pics! So fun. I wish I could have been there for the boat time- maybe we can fit some of that in soon.

I love the hostage situation. Gracie and Kyle are such little hams! I can't wait to see them with Elli.

Love the "sister silliness"! Yes- it is so wonderful if you are the sister but I know that even Todd has gotten overwhelmed by us sometimes. I, for one, crave sister silliness especially when I see pics and photos without me taking part! Can't wait to have some silliness soon!