Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Highlights of 2008

As a new year begins, I thought I would try keeping up with a blog. Before I launch into 2009 however, I wanted to reflect on the amazing highlights we had in 2008!

1. We went to our first sled dog race. It was the Yukon Quest International which covers 1,000 miles from Fairbanks, Alaska to Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. It was 44 below zero as we watched to teams take off on the starting line traveling on the frozen Chena River.

Watching from the bridge looking down on the river

2. Chris and I enjoyed a weekend alone skiing at Alyeska Ski Reso
rt outside Anchorage. Thanks to the Colemans for watching Grace! We also enjoyed checking out the 3 local downhill skiing areas in Fairbanks and even tried out cross-country skiing.

3. We were able to see the amazing talents of the world's best ice sculptors at the World Ice Sculpting Championships. We even cheered on a team from Texas! Grace really enjoyed the ice park that had several slides, tunnels, an igloo, and a maze all made out of ice.

Notice the fly on the end of the Gecko's tongue.

4. In April, we traveled to Texas hitting San Antonio, Lubbock, and Dallas where we covered Sea World, the SA Zoo, and the Dallas Arboretum, all while trying to see as many family and friends as possible!
San Antonio Zoo - Grace & Granddaddy

Dallas Arboretum - Gracie & Uncle Michael

5. We adopted a 2 year old husky/hound mix named Vince. All his brothers and sisters are mushing dogs but he was the runt of the litter, and therefore, does not have the body type to keep up. He is very well trained however, and still super fast! We love playing fetch with him and having him pull Grace on her sled. Despite his energy, Vince is a sweet, calm dog to have around kids. He has taken to watching out for them. We call him our baby monitor.

Vince LOVES tennis balls!

6. Since moving to Alaska, we have developed hiking and camping as new family activities. We have learned, however, not to be over anxious and try hiking or camping too early in the season (May was too early). The snow is too deep to walk in and it is impossible to sleep when you are FREEZING! Challenges all summer include no actual darkness for sleeping however. Even though the sun has technically set, it still remains fairly light all night.

Grace's 1st time roasting marshmallows.

Above is from 2 different days we hiked to Angel Rocks.

Nature Trail through Creamer's Field

7. Nana and Big Chief came to visit this July. (Chris's parents) We had a fabulous time showing them around Fairbanks as well as exploring Denali National Park. Chris and his Dad were able to go on a helicopter/hiking tour and they loved the area so much that they went back for an overnight backpacking trip. They saw plenty of wildlife including bear and caribou.

Ice Cream Gang (These 3 practically live for ice cream!)

Denali National Park!!

Look in the background -- Those aren't clouds. That's Mt. McKinley (aka Denali to locals).
It is the highest mountain in North America at 20,320 ft.

8. We moved off base to the neighboring town of North Pole. We have a personal IN with Santa now. (Seriously, Gracie thinks Santa is one of her best friends. He makes appearances at the Santa Claus House year round.)


9. KYLE is BORN! He arrived on Nov. 5th at 7:47 pm weighing 8 lbs and measuring 20 in. Gramma Christine came to help out and watch Grace while I was in the hospital. Nana came up shortly after Gramma and she helped Kyle, Grace, and I fly back to Texas for a long Christmas vacation. Chris came down after working a couple more weeks.

Gracie checking out her new brother. She adores him!

Our Beautiful Blue Eyed Baby Boy!

Proud Gramma with the Grandkids

10. We had a splendiferous time over Christmas!!! We got to see ALL our siblings on both sides and we loved soaking up some warm weather before returning to frigid 50 below!

11. Chris was able to bless Kyle over the break. It was a special ceremony because we were able to have all the male priesthood holders from our family in the circle. (all the sisters' husbands and my dad)


12. Sadly, this year we also suffered the loss of Chris' Grandmother Betty, my Great Uncle Warlick, and our dear friend Geoff. We look forward to seeing them again someday.

13. Other events have included: kayaking, a moose in our front yard, me entering the base version of American Idol, Gracie locking herself in the car, my running in the 10k Midnight Sun Run, Gracie turning 2 and Chris hitting 30, backyard firepits, diving into massive piles of leaves, checking out Seward, Alaska, visiting the Anchorage Zoo, Chris attempting moose hunting, teaching Vince new tricks, having Grace's vocabulary increase exponentially, and us memorizing all the lines to Finding Nemo.

Seward Harbor

We are so grateful for our 2008 blessings, now, we're excited to find out what 2009 has in store for us!

10 comments:

Dahlia said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! You've got such a sweet family and we hope you're enjoying Alaska :)

Erin said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun AND eventful 2008! :) Your kids are adorable! Glad you entered the blogging world!

Anonymous said...

im glad u started a blog .. its soo much fun to see what everyones upto..

Laura said...

Yea--I love it! So glad you have a blog now. I love all the comments and pictures! We look forward to checking out your pictures lots more!

The Hardy Party! said...

Base version of American Idol, huh? What's that about? Sounds like you had an eventful year! I look forward to more blogging updates!

Andy said...

you are on the RSS feed now...

Kristy keeps a good blog:

http://kristysaidso.blogspot.com/

get her to add you to the list if you arent already. Hope you are staying warm-

Andy

Cheri said...

When I said the Base version of American Idol, I meant the Air Force Base. They called it eIelson Idol. I went to the top 5 and my best friend, Kari made it to the top 2!

Kari said...

7 comments already!!! Wow, you just entered the blogging world and look how popular you already are :)!!! I love your background, VERY cute! I also love your first entry. I can see why it was taking you so long to post it. And, just a note on the side, I am very happy to know that I was, in someway or another, involved in a lot of these events...therefore, I must have been a highlight in your '08! lol

Emily said...

I wish Erik and I were better at taking pictures, or remembering to take pictures. I don't have half of the fun Alaska adventure pictures that you guys do, so I think I'll just superimpose Erik and I into your great Alaska shots. I miss it there!

Cheri said...

That would be hilarious, Emily! You can do that and we will imagine your beach photos are actually us! This could be a win-win!